Excursion to Imereti: Prometheus cave, Gelati, Bagrat and Motsameta monasteries – this is a one-day tour from Batumi to the amazing lands of Imereti. Visiting the city of Kutaisi, you will feel the spirit of the thousand-year history of the Georgian state. It was here that the great King David the Builder was crowned, and here he found his last refuge.
The centuries-old cultural and historical heritage is kept here, and, to this day, many secrets and mysteries excite the minds. We will see three active monasteries. Bagrat Temple (X century) or Cathedral of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos in Kutaisi. According to legend, the Motsameta monastery was built on the mountain, where the Georgian princes David and Konstantin Mkheidze, who refused to convert to Islam, were executed by Muslim invaders.
The third, Gelati monastery (ΧΙΙ century) is the ancient Gelati academy, founded by David the Builder, where his grave is currently located. It was Gelati that became the symbol of the Georgian Golden Age, or rather, the symbol of the beginning of a new phase of this century.
And after visiting historical monuments, we will go to the amazing underground world – the Prometheus carst cave. This is the deepest and longest cave accessible to visit in Georgia. The natural monument today is completely ready to receive tourists, it is equipped with safe paths, decorative lighting and musical accompaniment.
- Batumi – Prometheus Cave – Gelati Monastery – Bagrat Monastery – Motsameta Monastery -Batumi
- Duration: 10-12 hours
- Start: 8:00
- Meeting point: Pick up from the hotel.
- We will go to an amazing underworld – the castra cave of Prometheus. This is the largest equipped cave in Georgia (length – 1450 meters, height – up to 80 meters). The kingdom of underground lakes, rivers, stalactites and stalagmites. If you wish, you can take a boat ride along the cave river, admiring the natural beauty of the underground “kingdom”. in the cave, all year round, the temperature is + 14-15 degrees and quite humid – 98%.
- Gelati Monastery is the ancient Gelati Academy, founded by David the Builder, where his grave is currently located.
- Bagrat Monastery – in the XI century. Here the coronation of David the Builder took place – the king who united all of Georgia into one state. Currently, the temple is included in the list of historical and cultural monuments of the World Heritage by UNESCO.
- Motsameta Monastery – the name translates as “martyrs”, in honor of the princes David and Constantine, who were tortured and executed by Muslim invaders. There is a legend that if you walk under the ark three times on your knees (there is a special passage for this), then your most cherished desire will certainly come true!
- Lunch at the Motsameta restaurant.
Excursion price to Imereti:
- Price for a minivan up to 7 people – 181 $
- Price for a sprinter from 8 to 18 people – 218 $
Children under 10 years old get a 20% discount.
Included in cost:
- guide services;
- transfer along the route.
The price does not include:
- entrance tickets to the Prometheus cave;